Our first project this year was a momentous undertaking. My district decreed that ALL students shall keep a sketchbook. Great, right?! Yeah.....one small problem. I have 1,000 kiddos and no budget. EEK! I came up with a cost effective (free) solution, that I'd love to share!
First, I took reams of copy paper that we already had (with principal approval) to Office Depot. Why? Well, I needed each ream cut in half, and if I did it......it'd probably turn out like a scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Enter Office Depot. They will cut reams of paper for you! I did 2 trips, the first time they charged me .75 cents per ream. The second trip, I was talking to the manager about why I was cutting all this paper & she cut it all for free! Thanks @OfficeDepot
First, they counted out 50 sheets of copy paper. We talked about counting in stacks of 10....just in case you lost your count! Then, they made a "sandwich" with the cardstock. One sheet of white cardstock for the front, and one colored for the back (based on their grade level.)
Next was the straightening & tapping it nicely to make a straight edge. They were then instructed to find a friend to help clip their book together while they held it. Surprisingly, they all figured out the alligator help with a short demo!
Now for gluing. I found a youtube video on binding books & surprisingly good ol' Elmers glue works like magic! They took a foam brush and a small cup of glue & tap-tap-tap the glue into the spine. I had them wait a few minutes for it to dry & put on a second coat. It doesn't need to be sloppy, as long as it gets all the pages on the spine; it will hold.
Last, we put it on the drying rack for it to dry! To finish it off, I let each class choose a duct tape pattern for the spine. this is mainly for me to identify any rogue books not in the right place. With the grade level colored cover + duct tape....it makes for easy identification! All grades 2nd-5th were able to do this completely independent. I did make an anchor chart with directions for anyone who forgot, but I was very impressed with their DIY prowess! I had some 5th grade students come in and help with my Kinder and 1st grade students.
That's it...pretty easy! How about y'all....any